Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Train Affair

My iPod played a Michael Buble number as my gaze held this fairy queen sitting before me…

You're a falling star, you're the getaway car... You're the line in the sand when I go too far…You're the swimming pool, on an August day... And you're the perfect thing to say...



I was lost in her... She sat there, right before me. What a beautiful sight she was to see! Looking out the window, her eyes seemed caught up in something distant. She was so lovely it was hard to keep my eyes off her. Her soft, cream colored skin was almost alluring. The high cheekbones… those pink full lips… eye the color of deep sea-blue. Cheeks so tempting, I wanted to reach out and touch them, tenderly so as not to hurt her. Oh she looked so vulnerable! But just the other moment, I sensed power in her; a woman so tantalizing had power over the very hearts of men. Her hair was an alluring mass of pure black and the way they fell over her face softened her features even more. There she was, sitting before me like a gorgeous princess under a magic spell, unaware of my hungry gaze. But then, maybe she was aware of my unacceptably rude stare and was indifferent to it. It must have been something of a usual to her. Her beauty was the kind that creeps up on you slowly and takes over you completely; she was bound to have second glances wherever she went… Suddenly her eyes moved and settled on… me! I could’ve sworn it was a dare. Those eyes were childish, and they played with me. That fascinating pair of deep blue stirred me up so bad that I was taken off guards. I was dumbfounded, looking back in surprise. She obviously found my idiotic expression funny or maybe they weren’t so idiotic after all. Maybe she only enjoyed the fact that she had surprised me. She beamed a radiant smile at me. Shall I tell how lovely that was? Those laughing eyes and the soft, curved lips! Oh she had me… I had given myself so willingly! The music danced in my head as I continued marveling her silently…

And you play it coy, but it's kinda cute
Ah, when you smile at me you know exactly what you do
Baby don't pretend, that you don't know it's true
‘Cause you can see it when I look at you…
 …
We had silent conversations throughout our journey. Now she was reading a book, yet she would look sideways and catch a glimpse of me. Whereas I was sketching something, but I was aware of her stolen glances. I am passionate about my art. I draw whenever and whatever I can. And at that time, sitting next to her, I wish I could draw her, capturing her on paper and adore the chance meeting with this beauty queen for a long time yet to come. But I didn’t say a word. Every time I used to stop to rest my eyes, I used to find her sneaking a glance at me. I would give no reaction.


The hours went by, and we became more like friends. Silent though, strangely our eyes said it all. Passing by an intriguing scene, we would look at each other and smile and then we’d return to our own selves; her book and my paper. The air held an unspoken charm with her around… the intoxicating smell of her perfume. She was no longer the proud vain beauty who was indifferent to her admirers; she was no more the powerful woman who knew how to use it as a weapon… She was sweet and generous with a deadly innocence. She could be someone easy to fall in love with; and very hard to fall out of love with…


It was absurd. I was constantly thinking of her, looking at her, silently complimenting her. What is this indefinable something between us? Why couldn’t I put this attraction to rest? I know it’s so silly jumping to far off things like these… but, is she the one? What’s that thing they call “love at first sight”? I never believed it existed… till this day. I feel like laying my life in her hands this very moment and yet I don’t even know her name! All I know is her smile melts me and her eyes burn into my soul… I was confused; one moment she looked kind and approachable, and the other, she would become distant… going back to her book the minute she sensed I was about to say something. Maybe she was just being shy… hesitant… why would she look at me that way… oh yes... maybe it was on her mind as well. I smiled to myself.


The music played louder this time…


You're a carousel; you're a wishing well,
And you light me up, when you ring my bell
You're a mystery; you're from outer space,
You're every minute of my every day…



Oh yes! This was it… I sat back and rested my eyes on her. She sensed my change of attention. Her innocent eyes wandered up from her book and then to me. She gave a childlike smile. We remained so for a few moments. Eyes locked. Finally the spell of silence broke between us.


“Are you an artist?” she pointed to my sketchbook. Her voice was almost divine, resonating in my mind like sweet music.


“Well…?” I came back to the world, in this train compartment with her.


“I hope to be.” I said with a smile. She nodded her head politely and went back to her book. What are you waiting for? Talk to her!!


“And … what do you do?” She looked at me again.


“Oh me…” She put aside her book. “I’m studying medical.” She smiled again.


“That’s really good. I could never study something as heady as that,” I said truthfully with a smile.


“Hmmm…” She became silent again and started looking out of the window.


Now what? Think, man! Think! My mind kept on pushing me. “So how many more years of your medical studies left?”


“Final year.”


“That’s cool.”


She was silent again. This time the silence was a little disturbing. I wanted to look at her, but couldn’t. I wanted to ask her name, to know her. I wanted to have her… to hold her… but she was distant again. I had loved the way she had looked at me when she talked to me. Lovely, deep eyes, that I’d love to look into all my life if she would only let me. Her hands rested in her lap, small and feminine… probably soft to the touch. I wanted to kiss those hands… to hold them and feel them… That would be a wonderful feeling! Michael Buble went on.



And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times
It's you, it's you, you make me sing
You're every line, you're every word, you're everything…




We were coming close to our destination. I didn’t want this journey to end, not as long as she was here with me. When she saw the stop approaching, she bent forward towards me.


“We’re almost there.” She said looking at me straight in the eyes. I knew instantly.


“I’m sure we are…” she smiled shyly at that.



You're every song, and I sing along…
'Cause you're my everything…


The train stopped and a gust of noise came. The rumbling sound as the train was stopping, the railway guards rushing here and there to help people with their baggage and managing them. People were talking and laughing loudly, happy to have reached their destination. We still sat in our seats peacefully and silently, oblivious to the world around us. I held her hand…  


We had reached our destination also.







--
picture coutesy: deviantART




96 comments:

  1. You should write a novel, Mehreen, seriously. You see the invisible.
    I want my signed (free) copy of your first book :-) You go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Agnes

    Thankyou for the read my dear, dear frnd :)
    I'm happy you liked it. Honestly, I was a little shaky with this attempt... thanks for liking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... Mehreen takes a nose dive in to the brain of a guy, eh?

    Sachchi baat batao! Kise describe kiya hai tune! :P Sharmao mat... Hume bhi batao sahi... :)

    Hands and hearts unite... :) Neat.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not waste your time saying that old thing but will certainly remind you once.

    I hope you remember the "foreword." I can see it coming sooner than later.

    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I read through the post, I felt myself sitting with those two unknown yet known people. I felt as if I know both of them.
    Beautiful. As always!
    I'm short of words...For me, this is one of your ebstest works I have read so far!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. now that was a good read :)

    I needed something like this :)

    Have a nice Sunday... Cheers mate...

    ReplyDelete
  7. its not just wonderful.. its, its much more above that.. girl u are blessed with creativity.. if only i could tell u how much i adore you.. good goin girl.. i am so happy to have stopped here once.. now, there is no going back.. i am addicted;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Kartz

    Hehehe... no I described no one... it's purely fictitious :)
    You're right about the "nose dive"... it was something like a blind nose dive :D

    thankyou for liking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Maddy

    Welcome to my blog :)
    And thankyou for liking this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree with agnes.....u should write a novel....i belive you the vision to do so :-)!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Sib

    :D
    You know it's such a big thing for me that you guys think I can actually write a book :) But if and whenever I do, I'll remember the forward thing ;)

    Thanks for the read!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Shruti

    Thanks dear :) I'll try my best to keep up to your expectations next time as well

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  13. BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN..
    'Writer' in the making- Miss Mehreen :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read what Agnes hhad to say...and I cant agree more!!

    Meher...you should write a book!!...and dedicate it to all of us!! :D

    and send us all one free copy..dontr sweat..you'd still make loads!! :P

    The post was amazing liked it a lott!!!!

    And who inspired the description of that girl..huh???...Please tell me!! ;)

    You took the character of a boy..and filled its shoes very aptly!!...you rock girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwww..romantically cute post!
    The way you brought up Michael Buble's song in the middle was truly a good idea..
    A well suited pic too..lekin ladki ka face kaha gaya? :P..kiddin'
    PLUS..an awesome description the pretty lass.
    Kudos,sweetie! :)
    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Arv

    Hey buddy thanks for the read.. it was a very naive, simple attempt... but I'm glad you found it worth reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Sawan

    It's really an honor to have ppl like my work so much... I'm kinda short of words in explaining my gratitude in the right way.. so pardon that plz...

    Keep visiting, I'd love to have you and the rest of my dear-reader-gang here always :)

    happy blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Born Vagabond

    Welcome to my blog and thanks for following :) I'm honored!

    Thanks for liking me work and taking out time to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Swats

    Thankyou my dear... yes... writing in the making but... that writer's in training right now... thanks to you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Akshat

    Of course the first one will be for you all, I learnt a lot here in blogville :)
    Heh heh heh... yes yes, free copies.. and signed ones as Agnes said :P

    Thankyou for liking my new attempt of being a guy hehe... :D It made me think a lot :D
    You guys have this detailed way of thinking about girls don't you? LOL ... no no just kidding :)

    Keep visiting, frnd!

    *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Crystal

    Hi Girl! I'm glad you liked it :) I found that song very very veryyyy sweet :)

    Thankyou for the very kind words, sweet heart... And all the appreciation :)

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  22. well written mam, sud give serious thots on writing professionally
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ Avinash

    Thankyou for the visit and generous comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. ahem! pehli mulakat me hi shaadi ho gayi kya :P

    lol

    thats a sweet story meher,am in short of words of praise for the way u have described it :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. @ Divvu

    Hehehe! Not shaadi... but pyaar ho gaya dono ko :P

    Thanks for liking it this much :)
    *Muah!!*

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow!That's so beautifully penned!I agree with Agnes,you should write a novel :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ Keshi

    thankyou dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. @ Sameera

    Thanks for the read Sameera... I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loved it...! Really amazing!!! You r really very talented.. I never read that much in blogs... But your style of writing compelled me to read, read and read until it was over... Hats off!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. will u plz sign d first copy of ur novel for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. good ko gud kyu kehte hai pata hai kya??..i dnt kno seriusly
    out of wrds!!..beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  32. @ Mayz

    I'll be honored to :)
    Thanks for the read, buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. @ Priyanshu

    Hi there! I'm very happy you liked it :) Thanks a bunch for the read! I hope to come up to everyone's expectations the next time as well :)

    Please do come back :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. @ joiedevivre

    Thanks for those kind words, Girl :)
    I hope you come back for more posts :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hey writer in the making are we???keep up the good work.....and yah Good Luck....

    ReplyDelete
  36. hehe... thankshhh Sadiya :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. wow! its amazing...
    in every post you show your new style, simply beautiful.. no more word to say about it... :) :P

    ReplyDelete
  38. First time here.. LOVED IT!! and ummmm You have my favorite artist of all time playing... I love Micheal Buble..

    Ne.

    ReplyDelete
  39. the thing about train journeys...u never know whether to hold on...or let go...believe in serendipity or the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  40. the thing about train journeys...u never know whether to hold on...or let go...believe in serendipity or the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  41. Girl, you are TALENTED! i really mean it. So beautiful, love how you have woven the story around the lyrics. Do keep writing, no matter what.. you have a gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. @ singlendacity89

    Welcome to my blog :)
    I'm glad you liked it and i would love to have you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. @ Mystique Wanderer

    ah yes, you are so true :)
    they have this strange romantic thing about them :)

    thanks for the read and welcome to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. @ Adeel

    thanks for the read and those kind words :)

    keep visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  45. @ Lena

    Thankyou so much darling!! :)
    I'm so happy somebody so good with her words likes it :)
    That's an encouragement!

    Muah!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. so romantic and cool haan ...i loved it :D

    in the beginning it reminded me the train scene from "one night at the call center" but it was too romantic towards the end ...and thank god it had a happy ending ..else i would have been disappointed wid a -ve ending ...coz i believe in love at 1st sight too :D

    ReplyDelete
  47. btw blogrolling you ..vil be regular now :D

    ReplyDelete
  48. @ Peter

    Hi there!
    Welcome to my page... and i'm sooooo glad you liked it :)
    Thanks for the blogroll :P

    ReplyDelete
  49. sweetie, dont ask silly questions!
    would love to make a template for you. Thats kind of a hobby when i am not writing :)

    mail me at top.lena@gmail.com and we can discuss details.. it might not be soon but within this month for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. @ Lena

    I'm PRACTICALLYYYYY jumping in my seat now!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  51. hi
    thanks for visiting my blog.your new post is really attractive and beautiful.I love them.
    Keep posting.........

    ReplyDelete
  52. Nice read there Mehreen. I like Buble btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. hello friend...:)

    you write well and your very cute toooo just like your teddy....:)

    i am sure your teddy will accept ur sorry ( opps sholly :) )

    Take Care
    Vikas{V}

    ReplyDelete
  54. its me teddy :) thanx for all tht....im truely flatterred (wrong spellin sorry) n u rele write gud....u shud start writin buks u kno ;P

    ReplyDelete
  55. @ Writing for Crows

    hi... welcome here!
    and thanks for liking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. @ Femin

    thanks for dropping by :)
    and commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  57. @ Life

    Hi... welcome to my page :)
    Thanks for liking it and for the lovely comments :)

    And yea... Teddy accepted my "sholly" hehehe

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. @ Teddy

    You don't have to say thanks... you're my janu frnd... the real-wala-janu frnd!!!
    A genuine, cuddly, huggable, lovable Teddy :P

    muah! muah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. wow...really liked your narration style...elaborate and has a certain class to it...the way you brought the songs in between added up to the whole effect...i could see myself sitting in the same compartment...thts the power of your description...keep writing gal...keep writing..cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hey Mehreen,

    So what's new knocking at your door?

    So many post and all are nice written.

    Loved the line, very much:

    As I try to face this penetrating pain

    Nice poem too.

    Wish you all the best,

    ReplyDelete
  61. hi .........

    damn girl ........
    u really r gettin better n better ...... :o :)

    well .....
    yur writin reminds me ov someone ...
    ya .....
    kinda .......
    J.K. rowling stuff ....!!!! :)

    n
    ya iz dis fiction ????/
    cuz ...
    its kinda weird !!!!!
    lolzzzzzzzzzz........

    t.c
    chao !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Hey Meher!!...

    Thanks for following!!

    :D

    P.S....Waiting for your new post...for a while now!!:P

    ReplyDelete
  63. After reading the first few lines I thought I was reading a book ....

    I so wish I was the Guy here....Kaash ye sach mein hotah :(

    Why can't everything be ficton....

    btw do you take Tuitions in writing Girl coz I seriously want some :P

    ReplyDelete
  64. @ Sandeep

    Thankyou for those kind words :) I'm really so honored for such a sweet comment :)
    Seems like fitting in the song made it look better after all :)

    Thanks for the read Sandeep :)

    ReplyDelete
  65. @ Roy

    Thankyou Roy... Nothing much these days except busy in work :) Oh, so read some of my old posts as well? I'm very happy to know that. I was sad they'd go by un-noticed :)

    Thanks for the read buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. @ Khizer

    Oh man.. J.K. Rowling is an inspiration... And no one can be like her... !!
    Yups it is fiction... wired?? Well... it must have seemed so unreal to you and that's cz it was meant to be that way... a fairy-tale love :P

    Thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  67. @ Akshat

    Hmm my next post is in the pipeline...
    It'll be here very soon... watch out for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  68. @ Anurag

    Hehehe... Well, someday it's gonna be your day too :P And she's gonna be pretty amazin'.... then we'll come by your blog and see posts on mushyl love :P :P

    I don't take tuitions for writing hehe... I just write in my own flow and try to do good each time :)

    Good luck for your exams :)

    ReplyDelete
  69. Hey WarmSunshine, what a beutiful blog you have.....btw thanks for recent visit on my story blob. Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  70. @ Rakesh

    thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  71. @ Anna

    You're welcome :)
    And I just saw the photo on your profile closely... you have a very cute baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  72. Hey read you for the first time!
    Mehru u r an amazing writer.
    Loved the post.
    :)

    Keep up the gud work.

    ReplyDelete
  73. My first visit here...and I m mesmerized...

    it's a lovely piece of work..the way u described her...only a man can do...i guess u watch urself too much...to be such an observant...

    loved it .....and i do hope ur teddy gives u hugs soon...

    u r blogrolled...and if possible can u mail me the song..........only if it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  74. Hi Mehreen

    Excllent post! There was a smile on my lips from the very begining :) Makes a beautiful love scene for a movie...

    You've beautifully woven the song and the narration. Simply loved it :)

    Well done friend!

    ReplyDelete
  75. Curiosity, knowledge, emotions - well written..the joke is i remembered Mr Bean series and laughed out loud..congrats on yr great blog..and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  76. @ Anurima

    Welcome to my page Girl.. and i am so glad you liked the post

    thanks for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  77. @ Day Dreamer

    Thankyou for those very kind words :)
    Hehehe.... nahhh i dont watch myself THAT much :p
    It was just an attempt and i guess it worked.... Thanks for the blogroll :)

    you can download the song from here:

    http://www.downloads.nl/results/software/1/everything+michael+buble

    nice to have you here :)

    ReplyDelete
  78. @ Manivannan

    Thankyou for the very kind words and appreciation of this very humble effort :)

    I'm glad it brought smile to you... I want ppl to smile and feel refreshed aftre reading this fary-tale like story... I'm happy I succeeded :)

    Keep visiting !

    ReplyDelete
  79. @ R. Rakesh

    Oh yes I remember that train episode on Mr. Bean. It was hilarious! Thanks for the kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  80. u knw wht mehak
    i really enjoyed each and every reaction or gesture of the person....u had created a good environment in the form of a train journey and i do believe it was better and cudnt be better than this .....well....at first sight it happens ,whenever a young guy gets a glance of a beautiful gorgeous girl......u knw wht the description of the lady is superb.....her eyes were color of a deep blue sky...her hair bunch of black...tempting cheeks and high cheek bone.....alluring skins... cant be better ...simply awesome.....i can relate to one of my old post ..called date with a stranger........ i am simple amazed to be honest....and sorry that i cudnt buzz here early... but never that late....just got to admire another gr8 work of urs.....waiting for more post of urs...... ...i second agnees and sameera....that u can be a novelist..so start writing a novel....nice nice

    great work mehak :)

    ReplyDelete
  81. Mehek,
    I was one of the first to read the train affair eventhough i couldn't comment then. And now, a week (or more) later, the story still stays with me.

    The two characters have been sketched to perfection. They are very very life like. And, narrating the story as an interlude to a song gives it good form and pace.

    I thought it ended rather abrubptly though. But that's how one feels when jolted off of one's reverie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  82. ahh I got it there !! but alas my web proxy has banned mp3 downloads..
    so I guess I have to record it from here only..


    i will do it.....

    ReplyDelete
  83. @ Stephen

    I'll read that post of yours, sounds interesting :) And thankyou for such a wonderful comment.... thankyou for the generous appreciation :)
    Ya I did wait for you to be back here on blogville, you're one of my oldest readers... so I was watching' out for you :)

    Thanks for the read Steph... those were really kind and encouraging words :)

    ReplyDelete
  84. @ Trevor

    Thanks Trevor :) It's really heart-warming to hear such generous appreciation... I'm very glad you liked it.. you're a very good writer yourself and so you liking it makes me happy :)

    Yes, the ending was meant to be sudden. This guy going gaga over that pretty-face, too absorbed to realize the journey's coming to end, so it comes as a surprise to him when it ends all of a sudden :P

    Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  85. @ Sourish

    Okay :)

    P.S. Michael Buble should thank me for advertising him more :P

    ReplyDelete
  86. yaaaayy am back am back...

    and this was jussss awwwww.. hnnm i wonder why i dont have any train journey's like this one.. sob sob..

    this was amazing dearie.. and the song.. is sooo apt.. hnnmmm well romance is sooo much in the air.. hehe weird that romance definitly seem's to be in the air when u have vacations or hols around..

    hugggzzzzz .. muaahhh

    ReplyDelete
  87. @ Ani

    I'm so glad to have you back Girl :) Happy that you enjoyed it :)

    I also wish to run into a handsome stranger like that someday ;)

    Thanks for the kind words :)

    Welcome back!!!

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  88. really beautiful :)

    me loved the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  89. Mehreen..

    I am sure we'll find them.. and hopefully soon.. and that would be just great..

    And it is soo good to be back as well.. hugggzzz

    ReplyDelete
  90. @ Phoenix

    Thanks dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  91. @ Ani

    :D

    :D

    Pwetty gals should be hopeful always :P

    ReplyDelete
  92. I L.O.V.E.D. It....
    it's brilliant...
    and sooo sweeet...

    ReplyDelete
  93. OMG!!! this is my first time here... n i read this.. which u say is fiction.. but is SO freakishly similar to my life!! i dun normally advertise my blog.. bt do visit if u hav d time.. n read the "Train" series... u wil be lik :O
    lolz. hehe lovveeddd it!!.. d fairytake actually came true for me. :)

    Annie.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails