Thursday, December 11, 2008

"Friends... ?"



He had dropped by her office so suddenly she couldn’t believe it was really him. She had acted so stupid when she almost tripped over something in her confusion. He was amused at her reaction. She was obviously quite nervous and he grinned because he really did want to give her a surprise.  All the way she was silent… too stunned to speak. She had wished, yes, but never said it. Life had always seemed to have its own way ever since he stepped into it. Or was it when someone precious came by, you wanted things to work out perfectly. You would suddenly become conscious of all the things that may ruin it, and in doing so… life would seem cruel and unpredictable.


Now he was sitting before her. They were at a campus she had once studied at. She thought the greenery there was soothing and she wanted to relax now when out of her office. This certain January afternoon was a warm one and she wanted to sit on the grass, bake in the warm sunshine for a while. She had been shivering in cold when they had walked in so he gladly agreed.


“Look at you… don’t you eat something?” he was in his usual friendly tone.


She smiled but remained silent. She was observing him like she had the last time. The same wrist watch, the digital one that could tell the time from different countries of the world. That’s how he had told her about his favorite watch a year back. She giggled at the innocent memory.


“What?” he said, smiling back at her.


“Nothing…” Then she looked at his face. Two years back she had told him they were baby eyes and how cute she found them. They were their best when that pair of baby eyes looked at her. She giggled again.


What!!? Why are you laughing to yourself? Do I look funny?” He was a little puzzled but nonetheless, still enjoying the fact that he had surprised her out of her wits.


“Nothing, really…”


“No no no… now tell me why you were laughing. Right now!! Come on…”


“Oh God! It’s nothing yaar…”


“Okay I’m not gona talk to you till you tell me!” He would always do that to make her talk. It was the easiest way and she would spill it all out the very next moment.


“Well… Everything came back to me… I still can’t believe you’re sitting in front of me. It’s like a dream… So I’m just trying to… make myself accept the fact you really are here… in person.”


He laughed. The usual way.
“See?" He said. "You should have seen the look on your face! Hahaha! You went white as if you’d seen a ghost or something.” He laughed more. She kept gaping at him. She couldn’t help it. It was unbelievable and she was left… speechless.
“You’re doing it again girl.”
“What am I doing?” She said coming back to earth.
“You’re staring at me like you’re gona eat me!” He flashed her one of his boyish smiles and that crazy look of his eyes. Baby-like, she thought. “I thought I was gona meet some fashionable girl… You should look at your poses in the photographs sometimes…” saying it exactly the way he had said it last time they had met, laughing heartily. “But you’re very different really. You have such an innocent face.” She smiled and nodded lightly. Her eyes fell on his wrist again.


“What this?” She said, pointing to a thin black band-like thing he had on his other wrist.


“Oh this… it’s just something a little cousin of mine gave me.”


Rakhi sorta thing, right?”


“Emmm… yes… no… I don’t know… she gave it to me out of love, so I accepted it.”


“That’s sweet.” She smiled. “Are you a shia?” It was something she had asked the last time also. She was playing a game, repeating the things they had said the last time.


“No. Are you?” he almost winked his eyes at that, quickly realizing what she was doing.


“No,” she laughed as she said it, amused he had joined her in her little game.


He winked, "Then I guess it's okay for me to not be one either!"


Then she suddenly grew silent.


“Do you know how it’s like being light years away from you…?” He fell silent. She went on. “And do you know how going to every new place, meeting new people brings back the fact that I have never and probably never be able to have you around like friends really are?”


“I know. We can’t do anything about it can we?” he said.


“Of course we can’t…,” a tear fell down her cheek as she said that. “I’ve missed you Teddy. Going to work every day… meeting new people… those praises, big projects, incentives… all means nothing. Because at the end of the day, I know I’m only running away from myself… I try to text you, but end up saying something emo so… I don’t know what to write anymore… And you think I’m busy with stuff, absorbed in things, not giving you time… I wonder if all friends act as nutty as I do… I ...” And she broke down.


He said nothing. He just hugged her tight. It was alright again. Teddy was there.


---
picture courtesy: deviantART

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Sorry for my last post guys... I was down in the dumps and I thought it better to share it with you all.... Your support and love has been immense. 
Thankyou all! *Hugs* 
xoxoxo!!!


97 comments:

  1. Fiction? Non-fiction? I'm never really sure.... :-)

    When is your book coming out Mehreen, seriously :-))) You've got some serious talent, girl!

    And by the way your new profile picture is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Agnes :)

    Ahhh book... Well no plans yet dear... Thanks for the appreciation :)

    About my profile picture... a cousin commented I looked scary hehehe! Thanks again...

    Hey I asked you if you were on Facebook. Are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to hug Teddy :P
    I enjoyed reading the post...
    I hope ur feeling better now :)and even I think ur new profile pic is damn cute :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww it's so cute. :)

    The word "Teddy" is very special to me too. it brought back so many old memories.

    cute and touching story. i loved it. :)

    hope u r feeling good now. n even i think u r looking darn cute in d dp ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! What-a-skill with ze keyboard, lady!

    P.S. - And I think you've got a lovely name too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good to see you back to good spirits... :)

    really your gift of writing is something.. me likes it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emmm,

    Like Agnes said, I am not sure either. Or am I?

    But I felt a little easy this time around. That's probably because you did too. Now, don't let me down on this.

    Dil Se again. Straight from the heart.

    *smilez*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if I ever had a friend like that. Sweet story. And I love ur new profile pic..very cute!

    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok now that was fiction???...very hard to believe!!!:P

    Loved the post as always!!!

    Good to see you all happy-happy again!!!

    And the new display pic is very beautiful!!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. wel...u rele rele have sumthing there meh......u shud really take out sum time in summer or sumthin n write a book ...s story kinda thing u kno
    but u rele know how to put things in words :)
    ive neva enjojyed ur pose as much as i did this one
    n haan
    koi tera wear nahi gira tha tumhare cheek pe :P mere saamney tumhein sharam hi itni ayee thi...rona to door kiu baat thi :P hahaha
    great :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mehr I really enjoyed reading this... Yeah being down in the dumps make one conjure up some really good stuff..but come out of it.. I have spent so long down I could only come up!!

    I need my Teddy Now after reading this...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you're happier now..=)

    And ohhh..I so love the nick "Teddy"..and this story was truly adorable..

    Another good one frm th magician of words ;)
    The tight hug at the end had me saying "AW!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are right Mehr... am smiling after I read this... am happy for ya :)

    talk soon... I need my brainwash too :)

    cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww this was sweet!

    I was holding my breath but thankfully everything was alright for her :)

    Have a great weekend dear!

    ReplyDelete
  15. such an emotional one! i wish everyone gets a friend like that. even if he/she gifts a tear, its worth it. its really worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been reading sad endings lately and a happy ending is welcome change ....
    Good to see that girl....
    and a nice dp too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope something of the same kinda happens on 22nd December! Hoping for the best..... :)
    (i am also going to surprise someone... I .....)

    ReplyDelete
  18. that was such a lovely post.. so much of emotions.. and so well written.. its such a pleasure to read u dearie.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Swats

    Thanks :) Yup I'm feeling loads better... Thanks babe!

    Hehehe teddies are for huggin' :P
    I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Preetilata

    thanks for read Preeti :)
    I'm so glad you liked this one :)

    Ya... "Teddy" bring back childhood memories... we all have one for this special word :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Stray

    Hi... Welcome to my blog :)
    Thanks for the very sweet comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey you entering the contest on twl???

    read mine yet???

    ReplyDelete
  23. and meher...got any orkut profile????

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ Phoenix

    Thanks for the concern jaani... I'm very happy you like my posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. @ Sib

    Yes... Dil Se... straight from the heart... :)

    I'm smiling... some certain Mr. Protective around :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. @ Meera

    Ya... the thin line between friendship and love... so very hard to keep the difference...

    Glad you liked it, dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ Akshat

    Hehehe yes... it was fiction :P
    Awwww... thanks for liking my dp... *blushes*

    And yea.. (almost forgot!!) Thanks for liking the post as well hehehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. @ DayDreamer

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. @ Keshi

    Thanks dear :) I'm sure someone as good and lively as you will have an equally good friend just round the corner :)

    *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  30. @ Priyanshu

    Thanks for the read :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. @ Teddy

    Words come out in a flow when there are things or people worth feeling for....

    Not everyone can understand... maybe not even you dearest.
    And yea... i was blushing as hell... you were such a different person back then!

    Wish the old you to come back... :'(

    ReplyDelete
  32. @ Ne

    I'm glad this little piece of work brought a smile to you sweetheart :)

    Yes... you may have been down... up is the only way to go :) And I wanna see you shine soon honey :)

    *Muah*

    ReplyDelete
  33. @ Farah

    Thanks for the read darling :)
    Happy to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  34. @ Arv

    Bingooo for your smile... You big soft bhaaloo you!! :D

    Brainwash.. I always find... is rather only you could do to yourself... well... in our case... we can help each other out... going through same things :)

    I'm very happy you smiled dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. @ Sameera

    Thanks for the read dear girl !

    I'm glad you liked it :)
    I hope you have a great weekend as well.., Facebook says you're having some kinda countdown ;)

    hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  36. @ Sawan

    Thanks fotr liking this one too Sawan.. you have always been very kind *Smiles*

    Yes... friendship is one of those relations that are worth so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. @ Anurag

    I realized I was making my readers all sad and gloomy with my gloomy mood... didn't want that... and this post was for everyone who was concerned...

    I'm glad you liked it buddy :)
    Thanks for the dp part as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. @ Rushabhh Gandhi

    hmmmm.... what's on 22nd Dec??? ;)
    Come on, come on... you can tell me :P

    Welcome to page dear!

    ReplyDelete
  39. @ Divvu

    2006? Hmmm... wanna share?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. @ Ani

    Thanks for the read sweetheart :)
    I'm glad you liked the effort... t's always an encouragement!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  41. @ Akshat

    Yes... I intend to write something... still in the thinking process... and gotta do it before the next week starts eeeppp

    i'm not on Orkut... I'm on Facebook...

    Drop in your FB id, I'll add you :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi...dropped in from Shruti's....was so so so nice...such a nice story...feel-good...u had moulded emotions into words so beautifully..lovely narration...Hats Off!!!
    I've rated it INTERESTING!!! It deserved

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ohhho..Teddy is a real person..sorry for calling him fictionous :O

    ReplyDelete
  44. sweet one:) Well written.

    Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  45. i am first time in your blog i like your all post and very nice layout
    i will keep visiting
    HAVE A NICE DAY

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wait...Wait... Wait...

    It isnt too far...
    Or else might be can tell in private.. not here..hehe...:P

    ReplyDelete
  47. Mehreeeeennnn....That was such a heartwarming story??? was it really a fiction?? if so it was very real with live emotions, I miss some of my very close friends immensely so it felt very close to real, well...keep it up, I see a successful writer in the making, don't give up, do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  48. @ Rajesh

    Thanks for the kind words Rajesh :) I'm gald you liked it :)
    Again... *thanks* for the rating... hope you come back often!

    Tc

    ReplyDelete
  49. @ Manivannan

    Thanks for the read :)
    And I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  50. @ Crystal

    Hehehe... it's okay. Yup he's for real... but the story is a fiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. @ Rushabhh

    Hehehe ok... tell me in private.. but where?? :P

    ReplyDelete
  52. @ K M F

    Welcome to my blog KMF :)
    Thanks for commenting.... and i wish you a great day ahead too :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. @ Sadiya

    Yes, dear, it's a fiction :)
    I'm so glad you liked it... and thankyou for the verryyyy encouraging and warm words :) I hope to improve :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. wow!! :) Mehereen, I'm sorry I'm late here!!

    If it was fiction, really well thought out!! really touching!!

    If it happened really, nothing more sweet than that!!

    I know you'll say it's fiction, but just in case if it's true, chose the later comment!

    P.S: Drop ova, Updated!

    ReplyDelete
  55. m sittin in office n have a wide smile on my face...its to read posts like these that i blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. @ Tazeen

    Thanks for the visit Girl!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  57. @ Mayz

    Awww that was a really really sweet comment :) Now I'm smiling too :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  58. @ Shrav

    Hi Shrav... glad to see you here... Well, truth is, the characters are real... me and Teddy :) But the story is a fictitious one :)

    I'm very happy you liked it...
    Updated.. hmm... comin' over !!

    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hmmm... Not tough to guess what I will say.

    Peace. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Am happy for you..very happy for you
    Keep smiling like this always..and yeah, don't forget me.. visit my blog for the latest.

    You're beautiful. Absolutely beautiful, Mehreen!!
    Treasure your beauty...
    :)

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  61. @ Kartz

    I didn't get your comment at first... But then I checked your message on my Wall :)

    Thanks for the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  62. @ DivineDiu

    Thanks for the read :)

    ReplyDelete
  63. tnxx dahlin! I like ur new profile pic...very chic!

    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Thats really really sweet, and touching...

    This post has made me determined about not letting my best of friends go lightyears away from me... Thank You.

    Keep Rocking,plz!

    ReplyDelete
  65. You're welcome to start ur own Wikipedia academy:):) Drop ova and see my reply to your comment:):)

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  66. P.S: the new profile pic is super cool:):)

    ReplyDelete
  67. m still waiting for the next one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Chic new display picture,dearie..
    Bt where's the next post?

    ReplyDelete
  69. Very interesting!
    I enjoyed it reading!
    Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  70. wOw!!

    amazing work - much awesomeness happenin on your blog lady

    keep it up and must say - totally luvd it :D

    ReplyDelete
  71. @ Keshi

    Thanks :P
    mmmuah!

    ReplyDelete
  72. @ Tanvi

    That was really sweet Tanvi :) Thanks for liking it and for leaving such a thoughful comment :)

    keep visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  73. @ Shruti

    Now girl, you're making me emotional :(
    I hope you come back soon... I really really want you to!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  74. @ Shrav

    Thanks a ton for the info... I will defintely contact you regarding this in some time soon, just a little caught up these days.

    And yea, I checked your reply-comment before I saw one here on my own :D

    ReplyDelete
  75. @ Sawan

    Some time really soon pal... I"m so caught up.. you know why :(

    ReplyDelete
  76. @ Adisha

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  77. @ Anna

    Thanks for the read dearie.. I'm so glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  78. @ Crystal

    Thanks sweet heart :)
    Gonna write something very soon... hopefully... have something in my mind aching to put it down on paper but i have this cold I'm stuck with... :(

    ReplyDelete
  79. @ Heart'n'Soul

    *hugs*

    Thanksssss... this is such a biggg compliment from someone who's herself a great writer!! Wow! You made my day girl!

    Thanks for liking and and for all the encourgement...

    Me's happy happy now :)

    ReplyDelete
  80. So sad, and yet with a ray of hope... so much feel for her, you didnt say much but you showed her pain, you picked the words and wrote down the feelings!
    Thats beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  81. So purfectly written... capturing exactly the essence of it all

    sigh... how i wish my teddy was back!

    ReplyDelete
  82. @ Adeel

    Thanks for the read :)

    ReplyDelete
  83. @ Lena

    Thanks for the sweet comments sweet heart :)
    They'll be an encouragement.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  84. @ Heart'n'Soul

    Thanks for the read and the very generous comments :) I'm glad you liked it :)

    Teddies are a part of childhood for most people... We never forget them do we? They're always there... inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  85. Welcome to my page Aimen :)

    ReplyDelete
  86. A doubly sweet memoir. Someone very special to me used to call me Teddy. All those bitter-sweet memories came rushing back to me.

    Good to see you happy and chirpy... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  87. Welcome back Trevor!

    Being called Teddy was special wasn't it? :)

    I'm very happy you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  88. hey munchkins this was lovely :)

    so i see hope and hope is always so good!

    i admire your works of fiction, it seems all fact to me so i am not even saying nythin further.
    i am a believer :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails