Saturday, December 20, 2008

Josh's Own Superman

The father clutched his son’s tiny hand warmly. 

"Do you know what I wanna be when I grow up Daddy?" The child asked him brightly.

He was his first born, just 5, but he could already find his own traces in his son. It was a sunny Sunday morning, too early for many people to be out here. But Josh has insisted. All through the week, the boy would wait anxiously for his father to come home from work. Working late, there wasn’t much time left for him to play or get involved with his son like he should. Josh was sweet boy with a heart of gold, of course like many of his age, untouched by any kind of malice. It was the age of dreams and seeing only happy endings; the age of dreaming about what one wants to be when one grows up and believing almost as a religion that it would turn out exactly that.

“What?”

“I wanna be a pilot!” The child said loudly, laughing with pure happiness. “I wanna fly and see where the birdies go off too!” His eyes shone with joy.

“And what will you do once you find out?”

“I will try to find Tootsie and then I’ll bring him home.” The child smiled, cute little dimples forming at the end of his lips as he did.

“Good! I bet we will have a great time with Tootsie”, the child seemed very sure of what Daddy said and nodded eagerly.

Tootsie was Josh’s most treasured pet parrot. Tootsie and Mr. Cuddles, the teddy bear, were the best; Grace and I couldn’t agree more. Mr. Cuddles went to bed with Josh, but the parrot stayed out of the bedroom. One day when he woke up, he realized he had left the cage near an open window, giving, Brutus, the bad neighborhood kitty, the chance to have him as his dinner. Naturally it was hard to make Josh believe that Tootsie had gone to visit friends, and maybe he’s staying because he likes it there with his old pals.

“Daddy”, Josh looked at him with imploring eyes.

“Yes baby?” he said as he pulled his son up in his arms.

“When I’m big and strong like you, will you take me to your office with you?”

“Of course I will chum!”

“And… and”, the boy was trying to think of different possibilities. “And when I’m big and strong just like you, will you still play with me?”

“Of course! You’ll be a big man like daddy is, and daddy will be proud.” He smiled warmly at Josh. Josh hugged his father.

“Daddy”, The boy hugged his father tighter. “You’re the only one who can open the cookie jar when mom can’t. I told Pete at school Daddy’s jus’ like Superman. He said his dad is stronger than my dad but then I told him you can even go into the basement without any light on and the monster in the basement can’t even scare you off!” The child laughed with satisfaction.

“Did you?” Daddy smiled at Josh.

“Yes”, the boy was in such high spirits. “And I also told him that, that day you cut yourself shavin’ and you didn’t get even kissed for it and… and it didn’t hurt you ‘cause you’re brave and… and you weren’t sad for getting’ cut.” The boy swelled with pride. “Daddy…” the boy grew serious.

“Yeah chum?”

“How come you take so many pictures of us, but you’re never in them?”

“Well…” he thought for a moment. “That’s ‘cause…”

“Daddy I want a photo of you so I can show Pete how big and strong you are!” he said without letting him finish. The boy hugged his father again and smiled. He held Josh closer to him.

“I love you Daddy. You’re the best! I wanna be just like you when I grow up!” he gave him a sweet kiss on the cheek.

“I love you too son! You’re the purest form of love I’ve seen.”  The boy clearly didn’t understand what his father meant and he didn’t either bother with it. He just hugged his Superman and clung on to his protective arms.

The day was breaking in. People were arriving in groups as the sun went on higher into the sky. Josh and Daddy turned to go home, their hearts filled with love. Wondering what mom must have made for Josh’s breakfast, he disappeared into the growing crowd, holding tightly to his father.

---
picture courtesy: deviantART

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dearest Papa!

This one was for you. As a child, I staunchly believed you were the most handsome man there is. Now that I'm all grown up, I see that beauty in you is skin deep. You are an inspiration to me and many around you. Of countless memories I have with me, I remember when I couldn't color within lines and you used to hold my hand and help me with it.  I love you Papa! For everything you are and for everything you have made of me...



I love you!


76 comments:

  1. AWwwwwwwwwwww....

    Dads are the best, na?

    ReplyDelete
  2. my eyes are wet, such a sweet post meh!

    I remember when i cudn't color within lines and u used to hold my hand n help me with it.

    see ur not alone, ur dad's still holding ur hand ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me ask you again, when is your book coming out??? You've got what it takes, girl, and you know it. :-)

    Well, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas over here..... and we're leaving soon, Paris is our first stop. I might blog while on the road... what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my Dad.....he'll come on Christmas day..:( :|

    Amazing post....as always...

    Felt every word!!!

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  5. sweeeeeeeeeeeeet :) m sure your papa would be so happy :) and proud too :)good girl good girl :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. look how stupid I am !! i thought "Josh's Own Superman" & "Dearest papa" were two different posts! I read "Dearest papa" first and commented, and then i scrolled up to read "Josh's Own Superman" and i dont see any comments tagged with it! and then i realize how stupid i am :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. wo, thats so sweet! i miss my dad and mom :( ill have to wait for another 4 month before i go home :((

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww :)

    im daddy's girl too... and i love this post to bits...

    lovely post mehreen :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. :'(

    I miss my pure love... I miss my Da...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww that's such a nice post ..Show it to dad,girl..U'll make his day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

    Daddy's Girl!! Nice way of saying you love him, Emmmmmm. By the way, did he see this post?

    Book, baby, book. Where is that? I cant wait. So cant Agnes.


    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sweet post! I love my dad too..but for some weird reason I feel shy telling him that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Indeed... Purest form of love. A very sweet narration. Period.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. my eyes r wet too :)
    luvly post :)
    I am a Daddy's girl too :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely one! Beautiful portrayal of father-son relationship.

    Your dad must be happy to read
    this :)

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ MaDdy

    Thanks for the read :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ DivineDiu

    Yups they are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ LukkyDivz

    Thanks for liking it so much honey! I'm thankful to God he still is there :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Agnes

    Hehehe thanks for the compliment on my writing a book :) Seriously that such a big boost for me when it comes to writing :)

    Oh wow Paris... I hope you have a great time... and yea... do blog while you travel and tell us about your views on things there... They're always valuable to learn something new from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Sawan

    hehehe I hope so too :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Akshat

    Awww.... then make the most of it with him :) Have a great time with him... and I'm sure he'll love it and come sooner next time just to be with his son :)

    Thankyou for liking it!

    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ Phoenix

    Thanks dear :)
    I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ Sawan

    LOL
    hehehe... that's not being stupid... you just got confused with my using the dotted like again cz it's in the template as well :)

    thanks for the read on *both* the posts :P

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ Anurag

    Hehe thanks... I did... he was so happy :) And then he hugged me tight :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. @ Arv

    I'm sorry if I upset you with it... I loved your post "I Remember"... So.. this one's for you too... and all those sons who've had their fathers as their friends :)

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  26. @ Sawan

    Awww... why a whole month? You stay away from home for work? I hope this month passes by for you pretty soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ Comfortably Numb

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. @ Sib

    Yes he did.... he absolutely loved it :) And he smiled in that really really sweet way he does at times... it made my day too :)

    Book.... emm.... hehehe... whenever that's coming, I'll be notifying you both first!

    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  29. @ The Lover

    Thanks for the read :) Why shy? He's your dad and you are a part of him :) Hug him and tell him how much you do :) It'll be great !

    ReplyDelete
  30. @ Swats

    Being a daddy's girl is so much fun :P
    I'm glad you liked my effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. @ Kartz

    Thanks for the kartz :) I'm very glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. @ Manivannan

    Thanks for the read friend. I'm glad my effort was effective!

    Yes he was very happy.... :)

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! Two thumbs up...Reminds the reader that a simple post on a child's love for her father can be a very engaging read. Loved the post. I was just wondering, what was the meaning of this sentence in the end "I see that beauty in you is skin deep"

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's a beautiful love. You have written it well.All the best to you. Take care. Thank you for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I can so relate to this post!Left me in tears.I am so glad for you and your Dad.Thanks for this wonderful story,made me realize once again how lucky I am :)

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  36. very touching and nice details,
    i can also relate to this cos my pappa is painter too and i was always closer to him,till now....
    thanks for this beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  37. @ Venus66

    Thanks for the visit Venus :) I'm glad you liked it... and for the kind words

    ReplyDelete
  38. @ Hatikvah

    Thanks for liking it so much Hatikvah :)
    Well... it means that the beausty is not just an apparent one, it goes deep down... the beauty is within as well :)

    Thanks for the read :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. @ The DayDreamer

    Thanks for the read :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. @ Sameera

    Yes you are lucky :) Everyone who has his/her parents with him still are very very lucky indeed.... there's no love like theirs :)

    I'm very happy you liked it!

    *muah*

    ReplyDelete
  41. @ Tazeen

    Thanks for the read sweety :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. @ Digant Sutar

    Thanks for the read, dear reader... Well... I just do a little bit of scribbling with pencil... you remember my post maybe... I got it from my father too.... used to love his drawing... and he was an inspiration :)

    Thanks!

    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  43. my daddy strongest ... hurrah for all the dads..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. hey girl....u already made my day...vowww......very cute post mehak....really u rock girl....the childs innocence and dads love towards him beautifully expressed yaar.....offcourse child and parents relationship is a pure relationship ....purest form of love......wowww mehak.... kudos to u ....am glad and i some how was thinking of writing some thing like this ,.....may be next year after done with exams......ur a daddy's girl...show it to ur dad and he wud be happy .....am damm sure......i am very proud of u mehak.....

    god bless u !!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. beautifull .... man ... it just turned me nostalgic ... n guess wat my dads the tufest .... :D ... meqsi ... :P

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh this is beautiful! And this is how I feel about my baby, it is pure love! Wishing you happy holidays, peace and joy in the upcoming new year. Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Salaams your way Mehreen, hope you are feeling better now, last time when I checked you were down with flu???

    awww wonderful lines on dad and like sawan me too thought the two are different posts and was too overwhelmed to read dad's post and went ahead to comment and later realised.

    but those few lines were so touching, that though I am running late for something I wanna comment anywayz...

    Hope your dad reads it,
    Well long comment here....will leave now...with this quote..

    A father is always making his baby into a little woman. And when she is a woman he turns her back again. ~Enid Bagnold

    ReplyDelete
  48. O Mehreen u always lock me in ur writing... U always right so beautiful... Lovd it a lot!!!

    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  49. Visit my blog..

    Something awaits..:P

    http://akt-akshat.blogspot.com/2008/12/santas-bag-just-opened.html

    ReplyDelete
  50. Veru touching!
    I'm sure u've made ur dad's chest swell out with pride

    Linked u up!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Luuuurrrvvddd the post. :-)

    You definitely are warm sunshine in the very gloomy blogospheric winter.

    ReplyDelete
  52. dads make the best ideals for their daughters.. wonder what the chemical reaction is in all this!!!
    loved the post

    ReplyDelete
  53. First of all..Merry Christmas..

    And now..your post left me feeling really weird. Dads are the best. They pamper you...give you freedom..and then,quietly part ways from you...

    Am touched..and sorry for reading it late, was busy with mom's health

    ReplyDelete
  54. Awww..my daddy stronggest! :))..
    Was a truly heart tending and cute story..
    Dads are the best,and the love inside them is never ending..


    To all the fathers of the world..you people rock out lives..and we truly treasure your companY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Love this one. You know, when I was a kid, my father sent me a greeting card on my b'day since he couldn't be there. I preserved that card for years to come and I still remember each word of it. It said

    "There's so much sunshine in your smile;
    You make everyday seem more worthwhile."

    I guess those were the most beautiful lines that I've ever received.

    And its pretty strange, every time I use these lines on a girl :P, I think of my father... he he.

    ReplyDelete
  56. @ Redemption

    Hurrah! :)

    Thanks for the read!

    ReplyDelete
  57. @ Mugz

    heheh.... Dads are the best no matter who's dad they are :) All dads are the best of frnds... loving caring.. everthin' !!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. @ Ste

    Awww... that was such a sweet sweet comment dear! I'm really happy you liked it sooo much

    My papa loved it.. :) He hugged me and smiled sweetly :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. @ Shalini Gowisankar

    thanks for the read dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  60. @ Anna

    Thanks Anna.... same to you dear :)
    Children deserve the best from us and more... :) Kisses to ur baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. @ Sadiya

    Walaikum Salam Sadiya :)
    My flu's fianlly gone... it's really draining, isn't it? That was such a beautiful quote sweet heart :) I'm very happy you liked the post!

    God bless you!
    tc!

    ReplyDelete
  62. @ Priyanshu

    Thankyou so much for those sweet words. I'm glad you like my writing :)
    Thanks for the visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  63. @ Akshat

    Ya... I saw and commented on it,

    LOVED it immensely... thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  64. @ Pisku

    Thanks for linking :)
    I'm glad you liked it..:) thanks for the read

    ReplyDelete
  65. @ Trevor

    Awwww that was such a sweet thing to say... I'm blushing!

    Thanks for the read buddy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. @ Seher

    Yeah you're so right! Thanks for the read... I'm happy you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  67. @ Shruti

    Same to you sweet heart!
    Part ways...? I'm sorry if it happened to you darling *hugs*
    I'm very happy you're back now :)

    I hope you're mom is feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  68. @ Crystal

    That was such a sweet message to all the das out there Girl! Big and strong and handsome!!

    I'm very happy you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  69. @ Rakesh

    Wow that's so sweet you still remember them :) What's even sweeter is you using your dad's words for you on gals hehehe

    They really are lovely lines Rakesh. :)
    Thanks for the read!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Awww.. awww.. awww..


    I can't stop awwing! I still think my dad is great and he's the best! :):)

    That looked so like for my dad as well:):) Do you mind me stealing it for my dad someday!??


    For me, it's all inside, I can't write for anyone & that's why I was talking about the steal!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Very interesting post!
    It seems a father figure greatly affect you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails